Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Quick Weekend at Home, Gym & Exams at Uni

So i went home last weekend and finally got some good rides in. The girls don't lease ride on the weekends so it's nice to have him all to myself.
My first ride was definitely my most successful. It was the first nice weekend we'd seen without the area being too bogged down to ride. Our hunter & jumper rings do not have a fence between them and they're probably about 400x600. Absolutely MASSIVE... biggest rings you'll ever see. They make about 4 full courses side by side. It's amazing.

We warmed up at a loose rein, i tried to feel out his energy and excitement. Not only because being outside for the first time is always exciting but also because Boomer has now been put on grain. He was not on grain, a decision of my coach/barn owner. I did not support it but also couldn't put him on indoor board (he hates stalls.. but that's another post altogether..) So i let him be off grain. He seemed to cope amazingly well, and my coach is an intelligent woman. If he NEEDED it, she would've done something. ANYWAYS, after much persuasion and research on my part on the nutritional needs of a working horse we have put his whole paddock, the outdoor boarder paddock, on grain. 1 scoop a.m. and p.m of standard sweet feed. I know a lot of competitive riders have something against sweet feed, but to me it's more natural, with no animal bi products which is definitely important I will post my next post on the nutritional value of sweet feed and its benefits and faults. We will consider cutting down their grain intake a bit when they're put out on their grazing paddocks. It all depends on their weight and necessity. Sadly Boomer's best friend has been moved out of the field, Gonzo (they've been attached at the hip since we moved back to the farm.) The paddock has been completely rearranged, his new field mates are Thor (another Percheron cross, chestnut with a flaxen mane- VERY different look from Boom. Never trained, so quite the handful but a sweet gelding none the less) Melo, Rolex and Justin (My coach's TLC school horses) and Guinness, a friend's horse. When i was there on the weekend Thor and Boomer were stuck together, seeing as they were the only two left in the field form the original group. (The rest were re-located to a new "schoolie" paddock.) While Boom and I rode Thor watched us intently from the fence. A downfall of this field is it backs onto the ring, and Boomer is always distracted along the fence line looking at his friends and whinnying.

I let him out into a big trot, he stretched his neck and did one of his big, loopy extended trots. We went around like this for a while, feeling each other out. We did some serpentines, circles, figure eights, whatever it took to get him loose and flexible. I find the winter is always hard on him, being an outdoor horse, and so i like to warm him up as best as possible and loosen up his back even in the springtime. When i asked him to engage his hind end he responded immediately. It's luxurious for me that Boomer is being ridden six times a week; his bum is fantastic! He began to come ground and really move off my leg, it was quite beautiful. I was touched by how responsive he was being. The slight shift in weight, pressure of my leg and spur and correct pressure on the rein put him into a lovely working frame. We trotted for quite a long time. When we cantered, well it blew my mind. The sheer power of that horse never ceases to amaze me. When i ask him for a canter transition i do not move my leg, as he gets confused by that aid (strange i know) I simply make sure he is balanced and ask him to move forward. If i lean back precisely at the right moment in his stride he becomes a rocking horse. If only i could describe how amazing it feels to have that under me. He was powerful and graceful and working off the bit. Best canter we've shared in a very long time!

I walked him out up the driveway, and he constantly wanted to turn home and seemed uncomfortable. He doesn't seem nervous, but her certainly doesn't like being alone. This worries me because i plan on riding him alone a couple times a week over XC and through the trails over the summer. I hope he will be more at ease when he's working and focused on his work in the field.

Our second ride was shorter. The arena was booked at two. I was on by one but my coach seemed annoyed that i was in the arena. Our barn manager was in and out with the tractor and a hoard of screaming younger girls, who were setting up the course for the gymnastic clinic. I love that i can ride my horse, and have him truly working and focused despite all of the distractions and potentially scary activity! We had to ride in the indoor arena because it was teeming with rain! Now it's gone and snowed on us, so who knows what we'll do!

As for my training, fitness program, when I'm away form Boomer at school. Last week i went to the gym 5 x. I would do an hour each time, half elliptical and half on the bike. I was really building my endurance but this week hit with three big exams and i haven't found a chance to get out there. When i get home in A WEEK i plan on getting onto the weights and working my core as much as possible. I also look forward to weekly yoga sessions! Right now exams run my life, i've been studying 12 hours a day and sleeping around 6 hours so it's been very tiring and stressful. I'm home this weekend for Easter though, and April 17th for good. So i keep that ahead of me and continue working towards it!

2 comments:

  1. Boomer seems like a really great horse. His looks remind me of our Percheron/quarter horse cross Donnie. They look very similar and he is a little powerhouse too. Have fun with him, you're off to a wonderful start it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! There's something really amazing about those Percherons, i'm going to check out your blog for some pics of Donnie. :)

    ReplyDelete