Wednesday, March 11, 2009

March 9th 2009

At this point I just really want to get back home and start riding. As an intro- i've been at University for 8 months and I'm coming home to ride my horse full time & show him in a pre-entry/entry event circuit. We had an unsuccessful cross country experience last year and one very bad loading experience that convinced me to take things slow last summer and avoid any more showing/trailering for the time being.

Boomer and I have been a team since 2005. He was five when i first starting riding him as a leaser. I rode him twice a week for almost two years. He came up for sale once, didn't sell so i continued leasing. I had a boyfriend and school and work and didn't think i could afford to ride full time. A long-coming and painful break up, too much focus on academics and the death of a close family member left me in a bit of a mess. It was a dark time in my life and I hadn't had much hope for a long time. (Winter 2007.) Boomer's owner, Judy, told me that she was most likley going to be leasing Boomer full time to someone else and if i did get to ride him i would get last choice for shows and ride times. Someone else had shown a more serious interest in him.

My parents and I went to look at a new barn, and at some new horses I could possibley take to that barn and lease. On the drive home my dad turned to me and said, there were no Boomer's... were there? Within 24 hours they'd called and put an offer in on him. Buying that horse for me is the single most important thing that my parents ever did for me. The focus and passion I have had for riding ever since that day he was mine- it's insdescribable. That summer I started having 2 private lessons a week and riding the other four. I moved to a new barn, Springfield in the fall to be with my best friend and her new horse Ivy. Things didn't work out, the barn got sold, Boomer had a twisted back and displaced ribs which were treated over 6 long months by a chiropractor. We soon made it back to our home, DCF. Compared to the long, drawn out settling-in proccess Boom went through at Springfield he literally let out a sigh of releif when I let him out into his paddock with his old buddies.

We moved back to DCF and started our 2 privates a week once again. Our focus was first, trot then canter, then getting my confidence back over jumps. We focused mainly on flat and dressage, getting him working in a beautiful frame and carrying himself while on the bit over the summer. The main goal was building up his muscle and topline, getting my confidence up and making him look beautiful on the flat. My coach insisted on jumping regularly to keep us both in shape but it has never been my forte with him.

Heading off to University was heartbreaking, especially after the monumental summer we'd had. He is leased to two very nice young girls who have kept him in perfect shape while i've been away. My best friend rides him once a week and has kept tabs on his health, blankets, tack and everything i couldn't watch out for .Being away from him really has worked out perfectly, despite how painful it has been. I am truly grateful and fortunate that my parents have continued paying for his board, vet and farrier. The cheques from the leasers have been a big help, rationalizing how we can keep a horse while i go to university over 5 hours from home.

A little bit about Boomer: Boomer is 1/4 percheron and 3/4 thoroughbred. He was born in 2000, and is turning 9 this May. His father was a Race Horse named Baby Albert. His show name is Celtic Legend, although i've never been satisfied with it i cannot think of a more appropriate name. I want to include Baby in it to honor his father, and Baby Boomer does make sense but I dont love it. Boom is steel grey which has slowly become dapple grey. His sister, Lily, of one year older is pure white. Boomer's past owner gave him papricha and stay-black when he was 3 years old to keep his coat black and it seems to have some effect, but in generally he is slowly changing colours.

Our Goals for 2009: We are showing the event circuit so it's important for us to get back into groove with each other. Boom does really well with one rider who rides consistantly 6 days a week and reinforces him in the same way everytime. Having three different riders on him must have been hard for him to adjust to when i left, and i hope he accepts me coming back as the main rider easily in the spring.
-Boomers manners, i've noticed while i've been home for xmas, reading week and other weekends... has REALLY deteriorated. I'm not sure if it's the younger riders, the lack of consistancy or his stubborn streak coming out. Boomer is a very gentle horse but the second he becomes aware of a chance to get away with something, he will absolutley try! We're going to have to do some serious ground work and reminding.
-Trailering is a huge problem. I dont have a trailer so it's hard to get one to practice with on a regular basis. There is a very nice lady at the barn who has offered to use her expertise in natural horsemanship and her trailer to teach Boomer. She beleives in letting them get on themselves, no matter how many tries it takes. Since i have April and May with no shows i'm going to take this opportunity to practice with her and the trailer. I will offer to pay her and hope she accepts because it will be a big time commitment.
-Jumping in the feild is Boomers favourite, he loves being out in the open, and lets out big happy bucks which often send me flying because they're MID jump. He broke my coaches hand and tossed his owner at the event they took him to back in 2005. He was a star for my Pony Club D2 testing in 2006, and bucked me off twice at Pony Club C Rally in the field in 2008. This is all the experience he has off property doing cross country so we're going to trailer to my old coach's new place and have a couple lessons with her in the feild, basically schooling off property. She's AMAZING and will hopefully really help balance his excitment and joy with my position and nervousness.
-I am extemley out of shape. I gained the freshman 15 and then some. Living in residence has really affected by style of living, limiting my ability to go exericise, my food choices and everything about what i love to do. I can't even find a decent Yoga class to attend which as cut that compleltey out of my life. My plan for the rest of my time here (march-april 16th) is to go to the gym regularly. I'm going to get a personal trainer for 2 months when i get home in April and really push myself. My mom said she will pay for my showing in 2009 if i get myself in shape, which is a fair trade in my eyes!
-Mainly i just want to get back on his back and start earning the recoginition and success we both deserve. He is a phenominal horse, gentle, calm with tons of heart and bravery. His percheron shines out everyday in his personality but the Thoroghbred really gives him the agility and speed to get around a course just as quickly, balanced and prettily as the next horse. I want to really get him in his element, i've been holding him back by not jumping him to his potential (he loves anything over 3') We're hoping to have a great summer and hopefully my position and balance and experience will increase tons.

I'll be back with my training ideas and thoughts and tack lists and everything soon. <3

JH.

No comments:

Post a Comment